Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sick Baby

Dear Sabrina Banana,

You have been sick these past couple of days and you have no idea how hard it is for both Daddy and me to see you as uncomfortable as you are now. We don't know why you got sick, it could have been from the play place we visited over the weekend. Our whole household is affected because we don't know how to deal with you being this sick because you very rarely get sick. The worst that has happened to you is that you had fever for 24 hours...now you've been sick for 4 days!

Thank goodness you are such a great sport. You take your medicine like a champ...no complaints at all. Sometimes, I'd wake you up in the middle of the night to give you medicine and you had no problem with that as well.

You know what? One of the most challenging things I've experienced is hearing you cough like crazy in the middle of the night, then look at me with tears in your eyes and say "Mom it hurts, it really hurts". There was that pleading look, as if saying "Mom, you are always able to fix things. Why aren't you fixing this? Why aren't you making this pain go away?". It broke my heart in ways you will not understand until you yourself have your own child.

Yesterday, I told you we were going to the doctor. You were not happy with that. You said you don't want the injection and by your own words "The doctor makes me nervous". I told you that I am sure the doctor will not give you shots today and that you have to trust me. Our conversation went like this:

Liv: Do you think I always tell you the truth?
Andrea: Yes
Liv: Do you think I lie to you?
Andrea: No
Liv: Do you believe I am going to tell you the truth now?
Andrea: Yes
Liv: The doctor will only use three things, thermometer, stethoscope and a flashlight. That's it. No injection. I promise. Do you believe me?
Andrea: Yes

When we reached the doctor's office you went from nervous to alert and friendly. You said hi to the doctor, embraced the doctor and gave a detailed account of your illness and your medicines. I was laughing because I'm not used to you being that sociable. The doctor was so impressed, and truth be told, so was I.

I told you after that I felt proud of you. I felt proud because you obeyed, and because you were able to "force" yourself to do something you don't want to do.

You're feeling a little bit better now so the challenge for all of us at home is having to remind you to take it easy and take it slow. Every time Daddy and I would call home to ask how you're doing you would have 10 complaints about the things your nanny won't let you do. We have to gently remind you that your body is still trying to get better and yes, your nanny is right...this is not the time to fly a kite. =)


Love ya,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment