Friday, February 10, 2012

Empathy

Dear Sabrina Banana,

Can I tell you a secret? When you were younger I was sure you had asperger's. This is a condition which makes you unable to feel empathy for others. It's having , shall we say, shallow emotions. You see, you were very cognitive. You were very concerned with patters, and you get obsessed with order, etc. I went as far as having you tested and everything came out normal. I guess there's nothing wrong with you...there must be something wrong with me then =)

This afternoon, as I was giving you a bath, you proved me wrong once again. You were trying to balance on one foot and I told you the story of how my Nani fell while trying to balance on one foot and how she has a wound because she fell in the bathroom. You were so concerned and you kept asking me "Is she okay? Are you sure she's okay?"

You then insisted that we go to Nani's place to give her your plaster strips. I told you that she already has a band-aid and you said your favorite Phineas and Ferb Band-aid is best because the drawing will make her feel better. You love these bandages and I know you would rather have all of them for yourself but you didn't even hesitate to offer them to Nani. I hugged you because I was so happy.

I don't know exactly how one can teach empathy...but I'm glad I don't have to find out as you already have it.

Love ya,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment