Friday, July 13, 2012

In Your Element

Dear Sabrina Banana,

I have spent a big chunk of my life trying to find the things that make me happy, those that make me "me". I think people in general go through their whole life finding that place they belong, or that person that makes them more of who they are.

It's always tricky being a mother. There's that fine line between guiding you or imposing my will on you. 2 years ago for example, I made you play soccer. The moment you were on the field, I knew you didn't belong there. You weren't into it. And though you went through the entire session, I knew I shouldn't have made you  go through that. I know better now, or at least I think I do.

Last summer you started bugging me about gymnastics. I don't know where you got that idea but somehow you wanted to learn this sport. Your Wowa was a gymnast so maybe it's in your blood. Nevertheless I wasn't sold on the idea. I thought it was too dangerous, and that you were too young and that our lives were busy enough as it is without this extra activity. You persisted and I realized that it wasn't just a passing fancy. So your dad and I agreed to let you go.

You weren't great from the start darling. In fact you struggled.  Your motor issues made it hard for you but you were determined to learn it. Now 4 meetings after and you have conquered your fear of the balance beam and doing everything you need to do. It made me realize how important it is to listen to you. To be in tune with your passions and talents.

I don't know if you're going to be an Olympic gymnast one day...and frankly I don't care. I do care that you are learning how to be committed to something. The daily exercises and the long walks in the sports center are no jokes but you rally through it. I also care that you are toughening up. Last time I saw you hit your face on the beam and I asked you during your break if you were hurt and you looked at me as if I just asked you the silliest question and you said "I always get hurt in gymnastics" then you ran back to the beam as if it's the most natural thing on earth.  I care that you are beginning to understand the value of persisting on something even if it's not easy. Lastly, I care that you are happy.

Love ya,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment